What is the BPL Makerspace?
For people interested in DIY, crafting, and making, the BPL Makerspace is a place where you can gather to work on projects while sharing ideas, equipment, and knowledge. We've designed a space suitable for learning, crafting, and collaborating.
Where is the Makerspace located?
The Makerspace is on the basement level floor near the Youth Services area.
Who can use the Makerspace? Can I bring a guest? Are there age limits? Is a waiver required?
Bloomingdale Public Library (BPL) cardholders (ages 12-adult) are welcome to use the Makerspace. If you're a Bloomingdale resident who would like to use the Makerspace, you can apply for a library card at the Circulation Desk. Minors 17 years and younger need a parent/guardian present to apply.
Waiver Requirement: BPL cardholders and guests must fill out a waiver before using the Makerspace. For minors 17 years and younger, a parent or legal guardian must fill out the waiver. Waivers will be kept on file.
- Adult Waiver
- Minor Waiver
Guests: BPL cardholders may bring a max of 2 guests. Guests do not need a BPL library card.
Age Limits: The Makerspace is open to Bloomingdale Public Library cardholders ages 12-adult. Children 11 years and younger are allowed to use the Makerspace when supervised at all times by a BPL cardholder.
Availability: The Makerspace is available to Bloomingdale Public Library cardholders during Open Use Time hours. Hours are subject to change.
The Makerspace is not available for group reservations, group projects, or meeting room bookings.
Room Capacity: During Open Use Time, 15 patrons max are allowed in the room at a time.
Due to limited room capacity, patrons may be asked to leave the Makerspace if they are not using equipment or working on a project.
What are the Makerspace hours? When is the Makerspace open?
The Grand Opening of the Makerspace was on Saturday, September 25, 2021.
Open Use Time
- Thursday - 5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday - Noon - 4:00 p.m.
On holidays when the library is closed, the Makerspace is also closed. During the following annual events, the Makerspace will be closed:
- Free Comic Book Day - First Saturday every May
- Ice Cream Social - First Thursday every August
- Halloween Party - Saturday, October 22, 2022
- Limited Hours in December - Visit the Makerspace by Saturday, December 17 to get in your last minute holiday crafts and gifts! The Makerspace will be closed for the holidays starting Thursday, December 22, 2022 and will reopen for Bloomingdale cardholders on Thursday, January 5, 2023.
What equipment is available in the Makerspace?
See our Makerspace Equipment page for a full list of available equipment and equipment status.
What does the Makerspace cost? What materials do I need to bring? Do you sell materials?
The BPL Makerspace is free to use to Bloomingdale Public Library cardholders. Some equipment requires a cost for materials. We encourage you to bring in your own materials to create your projects.
The library sells a limited supply of materials. Only cash accepted. Material availability is not guaranteed; prices are subject to change. The Library does not offer refunds for materials used or for any remnants.
- 3D printer filament: 10¢/gram
- Book binding combs: 3/8" size (max 55 sheets of paper) - 5¢/comb; 3/4" size (max 150 sheets of paper) - 20¢/comb
- Button maker - 1.5" or 2.25" button sets: 10¢/set
- Cardstock paper: 5¢/sheet
- Paper: 5¢/sheet
- Sewing machine thread: 25¢/session (black and white colors only)
- Transfer tape (if purchased separately from vinyl): 2¢/inch (max cut length of 5 feet/60 inches)
- Vinyl (iron-on/heat transfer vinyl/HTV - black and white colors only): 65¢/sheet (12" x 10" sheet)
- Vinyl (indoor/removable): 10¢/inch (transfer tape included, max cut length of 5 feet/60 inches)
Can I reserve equipment in the Makerspace?
Equipment reservations are recommended. The Makerspace is not available for group reservations or group projects. Walk-ins during Open Use Time are welcome, but equipment availability is not guaranteed.
- Reservation limit of 2 hours per day max.
- Limit one reservation allowed per day.
- Reservation requests can be made up to 7 days in advance.
- All reservation requests are on a first-come, first-served basis.
To make a reservation, first check our Makerspace Equipment Calendar for equipment availability. If the equipment is not reserved, please call the Adult Reference Desk at 630-924-2730 to make a reservation. Please have the following ready:
- Your full name
- Your Bloomingdale Public Library card number
- Equipment you want to reserve
- Preferred date(s)/time(s)
Can I get help with my project? What if I don't know how to use the equipment?
Patrons are responsible for preparing their designs/projects and using the equipment/software.
During Open Use Time, library staff will have varying levels of expertise with the Makerspace equipment and software. Please note that help may be limited, and some staff members are unable to assist with specific Makerspace equipment or software.
If you'd like to learn how to use a specific piece of equipment, please set up a Book-A-Maker appointment through our online form. SAME DAY OR NEXT DAY APPOINTMENTS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE. Please allow at least 2 business days for a reply.
The 3D printers are staff operated only. Patrons are restricted from using the 3D printers directly, but you can submit a 3D print request.
How can I learn to use the Makerspace equipment?
- Check out our Equipment User Guides.
- CreativeBug - Thousands of award-winning art and craft video classes taught by recognized design experts and artists. Recommended for DIYers, crafters, and makers. Bloomingdale Public Library card required.
- Hobbies and Crafts Reference Center - How-to instructions and creative ideas from leading hobby and craft magazines. Bloomingdale Public Library card required.
- LinkedIn Learning - Offers video tutorials on photography skills and related software. Bloomingdale Public Library card required.
- Book-A-Maker appointment - If you'd like to learn how to use a specific piece of equipment, please set up a Book-A-Maker appointment through our online form. SAME DAY OR NEXT DAY APPOINTMENTS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE. Please allow at least 2 business days for a reply.
What are the Makerspace policies?
See our Makerspace Policies page for a full list of rules and policies.
I have a question about the Makerspace. How can I contact you?
Please email us at email@example.com.