3D Printing Policy | Getting Started With 3D Printing | Using the 3D Printers | 3D Print Specs | Submit Your 3D Print Request
3D Printing Policy
The Library will review each file before it is printed. In accordance with the Library Board Approved Rules of Behavior Policy, the 3D printer may not be used to create weapons, firearms, or destructive materials. The Library reserves the right to refuse any 3D print request. Before submitting files, please check our 3D print specs for max print time, max print size, etc.
Getting Started With 3D Printing
3D printing is the process of taking a digital design file and turning it into a physical 3D object. You can download premade designs online or create your own designs, and then print them out. Bloomingdale Public Library owns two 3D printers, and we use plastic PLA filament to print. PLA filament is an environmentally safe, biodegradable plastic.
3D Printing Guides
Learn more about the technology and what to expect from your 3D prints.
3D Printer Files
Ready to try out a 3D print? Check out the following sites for premade digital design files.
Thingiverse - Thingiverse has user created .stl and .obj files ready for download and printing. If you'd like to make changes to a file, download a design and then upload it to your Tinkercad account.
Digital design websites - List of additional websites with 3D design files.
Selva3D - Selva3D takes 2D .jpeg or .png files and turns them into 3D images. This works best with images that are pure black and white.
Create Your Own 3D Designs
Move beyond premade designs and create your own custom design.
Post-Process Your 3D Designs
Make your print finish look smoother and more professional.
Using the 3D Printers
The 3D printers are open to all library patrons. Submit your 3D print request, and a librarian will contact you within one week to confirm your file submission, your estimated print cost, and estimated print time. 3D Print Club for Teens is a monthly club for 7th-12th graders to use our 3D printers.
3D Print Specs
- Printers available: Lulzbot Taz 6 and Dremel Idea Builder 3D40
- Maximum print size: 280mm x 280mm x 250mm (11 in x 11 in x 9.8in)
- Maximum print time: 8 hours (for all files submitted). If your project/files are over 8 hours total, you must break you project into smaller time increments. We only accept one 8 hour project per patron per two week period.
- File types accepted: .stl or .obj
- Print colors: Filament color choices are available on the 3D print request form
- Filament type: PLA only
- File names: Before uploading, name your print file as your first name and the color of filament.
Example: Jaime Cool Grey.stl
If you're submitting multiple files, please number your files.
Example: 01 Jaime Cool Grey, 02 Jaime Cool Grey, etc.
- Cost: 10¢ per gram
- Payment: Cash only
- Pick up and pay for your item at the Adult Reference Desk
- You will not be charged for failed prints
- Prints will be processed in the order that they're received
- Staff will contact you within one week to confirm your file submission, your estimated print cost, and estimated print time.
- Please allow up to 2-3 weeks for prints to be completed
Questions about 3D Printing? Contact us at email@example.com.